Frequently Answered Questions

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers!

Use our FAQs to find out answers to the most commonly asked questions

Do you ask for bank details via SMS?

We will never request any bank details via SMS. We may occasionally offer to pay your refund into a bank account under certain circumstances, but we will send you an email requesting only the account name, sort code and account number. We will never request any passwords or one-time passcodes. If you receive an SMS requesting your bank details, please contact Action Fraud immediately.

What are Flat Rate Expenses (FRE)?

This means an amount of money that a taxpayer can get tax relief on. For example, the minimum deduction for the cost of washing your uniform is £60 per year. This means that if you pay tax at the basic rate band of 20%, then you are due a refund of £12 (£60 x 20%). A higher rate taxpayer would be due a refund of £24 (£60 x 40%).

What allowances can I claim?

Please see our services page for a list of expenses that we can help you claim.

Why am I not already receiving these expenses?

You must inform HMRC that you are entitled to expenses as HMRC has no other way of knowing this information. If you are a member of the HM Armed Forces, you are already receiving uniform expenses through your tax code as HMRC has an agreement with HM Armed Forces. However, most other employers do not have this agreement with HMRC in place.

What are the fees for your service?

If we are successful in obtaining a refund on your behalf, our fee is 28% (+VAT) plus £50 (+VAT) – limited to the refund received, not a penny more!
And the best news of all is that you will receive 100% of the tax savings every year going forward for the new allowances that HMRC will add to your tax code. This could amount to thousands of pounds over your working career – see an example on our fees page. There is NO fee for this part of our service.
We charge a fee to cover our time, expertise, and hours of potentially frustrating correspondence with the tax office on your behalf.

I have received a tax calculation from HMRC but not a cheque?

If you are due a refund, your calculation will say that ‘HMRC Owes You’. In some cases, HMRC will carry forward the amount owing to you for a previous year to a more recent year, and only send one refund, rather than multiple refunds (one for each year). Look out for the words ‘carried forward’ on your tax calculations. HMRC will send out your cheque within 3 weeks from the date of the calculation.

How many years can I claim for, and if I have claimed in the past how will this affect my claim?

You can claim tax relief for up to the last four years. If you have claimed in the past, you may already be receiving tax relief on certain expenses through your tax code. However, we can check this for you and identify whether you may be due any further repayments.

I have not paid tax in the last four years, can I still claim?

You are not eligible to claim if you have not paid any tax in the last four years, or if HMRC has already refunded all the tax that you have paid in the last four years.

Will my tax claim affect my visa status or other benefits?

Your claim will not affect your visa or your ability to live/work in the UK. It will also not affect any other benefits such as working tax credits, child tax credits, JSA, and ESA.

Do I need to notify my employer about my claim?

No. This is a matter between the taxpayer and the tax office only.

How long does it take to receive my refund?

Approximately 8 to 12 weeks. Any requests for additional information from the Tax Office may increase the processing time.

One More Question?

If we haven’t answered your question, please get in touch with us by clicking here and we will gladly answer any further queries.

Claim Now
Back to Top